Sunday, January 26, 2014

Making 3 Way or Student Led Conferences a Success With Google Docs

How many of you teachers out there have experienced this? It is mid year and time for your students to participate in a 3 way conference with their teacher and parents. Days before the conference, you help students reflect on their learning successes and areas needing improvement. Together, you come up with action plans for what each of you can do to encourage future growth and development in all subject areas. You help students identify pieces of work that show strengths, and a few weaknesses. Then, on the fateful day of the conferences, a student timidly enters with his parents and completely freezes up at the discussion table, forgetting about all of the ideas he has come up with in class and not using the evidence from binders and notebooks you have painstakingly helped him uncover to support assertions he makes about his own learning. You and parents end up having to lead the conference, subverting your institution's intentions to foster student independence and empowerment. All parties leave the table a bit unsatisfied and frustrated.

One tool that may help you circumvent this sort of scenario is the versatile, easy to use, Google Document. This year, I decided to use Google Docs, in conjunction with my school's subscription to Google Apps for Education, in order to break the 3 way conference deer-in-the-headlights conundrum!

As you most likely already know, the humble Google Document allows for multiple parties to share, view, edit, comment upon, and publish a written piece of work collaboratively. As such, you can use these documents, stored in your school's domain on Google servers, to create templates on which students respond to basic prompts about their learning in each subject. As students write, you as a teacher can make comments about their assertions, or chat with them in real time, urging them to go deeper into their reflection, or reminding them to link a pertinent document to every assertion.

Here's how I used Google Docs this year to help students actively participate in their own conferences.

First of all, months ago, I created folders with each student's name on my Google Drive. I then immediately shared these folders with their related students, using their recently activated Gmail addresses that quickly populate in the search bar of the share setting pane. after typing in a few letters of their name. (To increase transparency, I would also share these student folders with other teachers of these students, teaching assistants, and possibly parents). I trained students immediately after to always create documents for class within these folders, the reason being that anything created in a folder that I have shared with a student is automatically shared with both of us. Thus, if a student creates a slideshow, a document, or sheet in this shared folder, I can see it without having to log into Google as that student. Now, students do not always follow this step however, so I simultaneously trained students to always share documents with me using the share settings pane. One way or the other, I always get access to a student's work wherever I happen to be: at home, a coffee shop, the beach, etc.

Before beginning our reflective preparation for the conferences, I created a document template consisting of a table with rows pertaining to each of a student's subjects such as writing, reading, math, unit of inquiry, and social skills. Columns on this table had basic prompts like: "Things I do well", "Things I need to improve on", and "Action plan to make this improvement". I then made copies of this template which I renamed with each student's name before moving them using the "Move to..." feature to each of the student folders I had created.

I then taught students a short lesson both on how to find, use, and connect relevant documents, images, and movies to the template. After this, students spent about three lessons going through their work, writing reflections, and pasting relevant links into their own copy of the conference reflection template. Meanwhile, at every step, I had all copies of these documents open while students worked on netbooks or computers in the computer lab. During these lessons, I divided my time between working face to face with students to help them focus their reflections and find evidence to support claims, and using the "Comment" feature to add encouraging notes prompting students to dig deeper. Sometimes, I would also use chat to remind students of an important piece of writing or slideshow that they done from a few units before with a link to their own document.

During the conferences, the student and I would load these templates on different computers at the table. Students used their documents as cue cards in their discussions with parents and as bases from which to connect to examples of evidence that supported their own assertions. Parents could see comments I had made to students throughout their reflections. Students updated action plans based on input from parents, myself, and their own conclusions reached during the conference. In the future, ideally some parents could also open these templates on their own machines or pads during conferences (or at home after the conference) and add their own comments. In the end, after conferences, students, parents and I had a living document that can be referred to for the rest of year, or filed to chart a student's ongoing learning journey.

Parents enjoyed this neat, easy to use method of presenting learning. They consistently asked their own children, when reading linked documents and looking at the quality of utterances, "Did you write/do this yourself?" I felt this was an acknowledgement of the professionalism of my students' presentations, a professionalism that parents are more accustomed to seeing in the workplace rather than from their own children. I was proud for my students, as these documents and the displayed links helped them to really show their best learning for those who were most interested in it, their parents.

Check out a link to a sample document from these conferences here:

Sample of Google Doc for 3 Way Conference Reflection

2 comments:

  1. Getting students to reflect and then present their learning is such a great skill.

    When parents take an active interest in the presentations I fully believe it will enhance learning.

    I think you're right with the next step too, sharing these reflections with parents, either through a shared document, or blogger...

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great idea. And perfect way to keep them focused and on track.

    ReplyDelete

Any comments or questions? Feel free to write them here! (Just remember they may be moderated.)